With obesity on the rise and the majority of adults in the US and UK overweight, there is an increasing need for fat burners – products that can boost the rate at which the body burns fat. Traditionally, most fat burners contained stimulants to increase the rate at which cells burn fuel, but as the science of fat burning has developed, supplements have become more sophisticated with some modern varieties promising to target multiple pathways.
Stimulants like caffeine work by upregulating the body’s fight-or-flight mechanism, increasing the production of cortisol. The greater the level of cortisol, the higher energy consumption overall, even when idle. This makes sense from an evolutionary perspective: when the body believes that it is in danger, it mobilizes its reserves of energy so that it is ready to escape a predator or fight an adversary. Stimulants tap into the body’s innate energy-burning systems, supercharging them even when no physical danger is present.
It should be noted that although stimulants remain a cornerstone of many modern fat burners, new advances in the science of fat burning are leading some manufacturers to target fat loss through alternative mechanisms.
Take the observation that muscle burns more energy while idle than fat, for example. Some fat burners try to use this biological quirk to their advantage by tricking the body into building more muscle, even during a caloric deficit. The greater the muscle mass, the reasoning goes, the more excess fat a person can burn. Fat burners of this type contain ingredients which put the body into an anabolic (or muscle-building) state which helps to prevent the loss of muscle mass during weight loss. The more muscle mass that a person can retain while burning fat, the more able they will be to push through weight loss plateaus and achieve the body they want.
There has also been a search for ingredients which can provide the benefits of stimulants, but without the drawbacks, such as interrupted sleep. Guarana – a naturally derived ingredient from a Brazilian plant – for example, does contain a natural stimulant but also a variety of cofactors which counteract its effect in the brain.
The Top 3 Best Fat Burners Of 2020
These are, of course, just a few of the fat burning technologies that we can expect to see on the market in 2020, but there are many more. With so much progress, this year looks to be a fascinating one in the industry.
The question for us, therefore is: what are the best fat burners current on the market? And why? Previously, Instant Knockout had been our number one choice, but since then, we’ve decided to give PhenQ our illustrious Editor’s Choice award.
|Rated #3||Clenbutrol||The Fitness|
Clenbutrol – not to be confused with the banned substance clenbuterol with an extra “e” – is a “cutting” (or fat burning) supplement made by UK company, Crazy Bulk. Unlike clenbuterol, which is an artificial stimulant and thermogenic drug – Clenbutrol contains no artificial or manufactured ingredients. CrazyBulk claims that the product is entirely safe, 100 percent legal, and has no side effects.
Clenbutrol has been an enormous success among consumers. The company has sold over half a million bottles and claims that people taking it can transform their bodies in as little as 30 days with no injections and no prescriptions. Not convinced? Neither were we to begin with, but Crazybulk provides convincing before and after photos on its website for everyone to see. Whereas users look puffy before taking the supplement, the after photos show them looking hard and ripped.
Although anyone can take Clenbutrol, it’s clear just from the marketing on the company’s website and social media that CrazyBulk is targeting the bodybuilding market. The supplement is designed to offer support to athletes losing fat mass in the run-up to competitions or photo shoots, although it is also suitable for regular bodybuilders and strength athletes who want to push through body fat loss plateaus. As a 100 percent natural supplement, it poses no doping risk, allowing competitors to supercharge weight management before a competition without falling foul of any drug rules.
How Does It Work?
CrazyBulk market Clenbutrol as a “natural alternative” to the now-banned substance, clenbuterol. But, surprisingly, the two compounds work in similar ways. The manufacturers of clenbuterol realized that if they could elevate the internal temperature of the human body above the normal 37 degrees, then it would, by the laws of thermodynamics, use more energy. The more energy it used to stay warm, the greater the fat burning.
The original clenbuterol activated beta-2 receptors, a type of receptor found in the liver and lungs, to signal to the body to increase heat output. The only way to achieve this is to increase the rate at which cells burn fuel for energy – hence the thermogenic effect. CrazyBulk argues that its Clenbutrol works in a very similar way to clenbuterol, but uses natural ingredients which contain helpful cofactors that avoid the dangerous side effects of the original product.
What Are The Ingredients In The Formula?
Clenbutrol contains several naturally-derived ingredients that both CrazyBulk and scientific research show can assist in fat loss.
- Guarana Extract. As discussed, guarana extract is an extract from a climbing plant in the maple family indigenous to the Amazon basin. Guarana contains about 2 to 4.5 percent caffeine by weight (nearly twice that of coffee beans), but due to other constituents in the plant, it does not affect sleep. (It works similarly to green tea in this regard). Guarana stimulates the body’s fight-or-flight response pathways without the user feeling worked up or anxious.
- Garcinia Cambogia extract. Garcinia Cambogia, a tropical fruit sometimes called Malabar tamarind, is a popular stand-alone weight loss supplement. Garcinia Cambogia works to reduce overall body levels of fat by blocking an enzyme called citrate lyase that the body uses to shuttle more fat into belly fat cells and upregulating serotonin production, a brain chemical which alleviates hunger.
- Citrus Aurantium. Citrus aurantium became a popular fat burning ingredient back in 1999 when Colker et al. at the Georgetown University Medical Center In Washington discovered it could reduce fat mass. It contains the same chemical as the dangerous weight loss drug ephedra, but thanks to cofactors in the plant, without the same damaging side effects.
- Nicotinamide (B3). Vitamin B3 or nicotinamide is believed to play a vital role in cellular metabolism. Nicotinamide gets converted into NAD+ which cells use to generate energy, similar to ATP.
It’s clear that CrazyBulk wanted to choose a range of ingredients that would work synergistically with each other. While the Garcinia Cambogia prevents new fat from being stored, the guarana extract and the other ingredients keep basal metabolic rate high, preventing the buildup of fat on two fronts.
Using Clenbutrol will result in the following benefits:
- Practically no side effects. Clenbutrol is essentially side-effect free, thanks to the clever combination of naturally-derived ingredients.
- A safe alternative to steroids. Bodybuilders and other athletes need products that allow them to lose weight safely and quickly in time for a competition. Clenbutrol does precisely that without any risk of failing a drugs test.
- Works through multiple channels. Clenbutrol is a sophisticated supplement which works by increasing thermogenesis, enhancing cellular energy, and blocking the new fat formation.
- All natural ingredients. Clenbutrol does not contain any active ingredients of artificial origin.
- Synergistic ingredients. Clenbutrol contains a range of factors which attack the body’s propensity to store fat on multiple fronts
- Enhances performance and burns fat
- Boosts performance while training. People who take clenbutrol often experience more energy during workouts.
- Get ripped and more defined. Clenbutrol attacks belly and body fat, helping to make you appear leaner and more toned.
Clenbutrol has some downsides:
- Contains caffeine (in guarana) which may affect people suffering from heart problems
- Must be taken in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle to achieve desired results
- Unavailable in brick-and-mortar stores (online only).
Results Of Clenbutrol
It would be incorrect to say that Clenbutrol is a miracle product. But it does do something that thermogenic fat burners have so far failed to do: boost the body’s metabolic rate without causing severe and life-threatening side effects. From personal experience, I can vouch for the fact that the product works, so long as it is combined with all the usual healthy lifestyle choices, like eating your greens and going to the gym several times per week.
If you’re a bodybuilder and you want to lose fat fast, then Clenbutrol is probably a product that you’ll want in your arsenal. No – it won’t counteract the effect of a bad diet, but it is side-effect-free, and that’s rare among thermogenic fat burners.
The good thing about Clenbutrol is that effects can become clear in as few as two weeks. This feature makes it an ideal product for people who need to lose excess fat in a rush, whether for sporting reasons or otherwise.
We have a comprehensive review of Clenbutrol you can read here.
#2: Instant Knockout
Instant Knockout is a fat burning supplement developed by its eponymous UK-based firm, Roar Ambition. The supplement combines several ingredients from the plant world shown to support fat loss into a single, easy-to-take product. Like Clenbutrol, Instant Knockout attempts to attack excess weight through multiple pathways by both increasing basal metabolic rate and suppressing hunger signals.
Instant Knockout targets two groups: pro athletes who want to minimize unwanted fat for their next competition and women who “want to look their best.” As with Clenbutrol, it doesn’t contain any banned substances – you probably use most of the ingredients in regular cooking. Instant Knockout simply packages them all up into a convenient pill which it claims contains everything you need to bust through fat loss plateaus.
How Does It Work?
Instant Knockout attempts to deal with the problem of excess body fat by utilizing several biological mechanisms. Unlike Clenbutrol, it contains isolated caffeine designed to upregulate the body’s fight-or-flight system, induce the release of cortisol, and increase cellular metabolism. But Instant Knockout is far more than a caffeine pill. It targets a range of fat burning pathways to achieve the desired result.
Perhaps the most innovative aspect of the supplement is the inclusion of glucomannan, a type of fiber found in the konjac plant. Glucomannan doesn’t affect metabolism directly, but it does contain indigestible sugars that help to reduce food cravings by causing the stomach to feel fuller for longer.
Instant Knockout also contains green tea extract. Scientists are still figuring out how exactly green tea impacts human metabolism, but Instant Knockout claims that it upregulates the release of norepinephrine (similar to adrenaline), increasing the energy the body uses at idle. Green tea also contains a specific type of catechin called EGCG, which appears to improve the ability of cells to perform internal housekeeping, improving the efficiency with which they burn fuel and reducing their propensity to become bloated with fat.
What Ingredients Will You Find In Instant Knockout?
- Green Tea Extract. Green tea extract works to boost the body’s consumption of energy at rest by upregulating the hormone norepinephrine, also known as adrenaline.
- Cayenne Pepper. Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, an alkaloid that research shows can improve insulin sensitivity by as much as 24 percent, reducing a person’s propensity to store carbohydrates as fat.
- Glucomannan. Glucomannan helps to improve satiety.
- Caffeine. Caffeine reduces fatigue and may encourage training.
The ingredients in Instant Knockout, therefore, work together in synergy. Some upregulate metabolism, like a traditional fat burner, while others reduce the body’s propensity to store belly fat, help a person to feel fuller, and encourage training by reducing fatigue.
The advantages of using Instant Knockout include:
- Increases metabolic rate. Capsaicin in cayenne pepper – an active ingredient in Instant Knockout – is shown in scientific research to increase thermogenesis; the body’s production of heat at rest, burning through more calories.
- Reduces fat storage. Instant Knockout contains ingredients specifically designed to reduce the body’s propensity to store fat.
- Improves satiety. Dieting can be a hungry business, but Instant Knockout includes glucomannan which improves satiety.
- Contains superfoods, like green tea extract.
- Reduces fatigue. It’s never fun training while you’re tired, but thanks to its high caffeine content, Instant Knockout increases energy for training.
- Improves insulin sensitivity. People with better insulin sensitivity are less prone to weight gain. Factors in green tea and cayenne pepper may enhance the body’s ability to shuttle glucose into cells. Excellent 90-Day money-back guarantee
- Contains only natural ingredients, including a range of supporting ingredients designed to potentiate the active extracts
- Better nutrient absorption.
- Excellent support. Instant Knockout provides lots of information about the product via the company’s website
- Wide range of applications. Suitable for a range of sports, including bodybuilding
- Suitable for women. While the focus is on athletes, Instant Knockout is a product for women too.
What is not so good about Instant Knockout?
- Contains caffeine which may not be suitable for people who struggle with sleeping disorders
- Is not suitable for vegetarians or vegans because of gelatin capsule
- Money-back guarantee only on a three-month supply
- Taking four tablets per day at set times could be inconvenient
Results Of Instant Knockout
Suffice to say that Instant Knockout is one of the most attractive fat-burning supplements currently on the market, thanks to the range of pathways through which it attacks the buildup of fat in the body. No, it’s not quite a substitute for a varied healthful diet and regular exercise, but for people who want support to take their body composition to the next level, it’s certainly a must-have product. Some people will find the timing for taking tablets inconvenient, but if you can stomach it, then Instant Knockout might be the KO you’ve been looking for.
If you are happy to consume caffeine and need to lose excess fat for a competition, then Instant Knockout will certainly be high up on your list of supplements to try. It offers a range of fat-burning compounds which work together to beat fat quickly. Unless you are on a medication which interacts with caffeine, there are few downsides to trying it. Instant Knockout contains only natural ingredients, and if you don’t like it after 90 days, you can apply for a full, no-quibble refund.
We have a comprehensive review of Instant Knockout here for an more in-depth look.
#1: PhenQ – Editor’s Choice#
And now for the winner of our top 3 fat burners of 2020: PhenQ. PhenQ is a multifaceted weight loss supplement created by Wolfson Berg Limited, a company based both in the US and UK. The supplement’s claim to fame is the fact that it is manufactured in FDA-approved facilities – something that is surprisingly rare in the supplement industry.
Unlike the other supplement’s we’ve discussed so far, PhenQ takes an undeniably pharmacological approach, isolating compounds from plant foods and then packaging them up neatly in pills. The hope is that the combination of compounds will attack the body’s propensity to store belly fat through multiple channels via direct fat burning, suppression of appetite, boosting energy levels, and improving one’s mood (to prevent things like comfort eating).
Unlike Instant Knockout or Clenbutrol, PhenQ is not targeting the bodybuilding or fitness market. Instead, it wants to reach out to the millions of people in the US and UK who are overweight or obese with a supplement designed to work around their lifestyles.
How does it work?
PhenQ works through several mechanisms. First, like the other supplements we’ve covered, it boosts the body’s thermogenic rate, increasing the rate at which it burns fuel while idle. Second, PhenQ contains ingredients which the manufacturer claims stop the production of new fat. Finally, PhenQ also includes factors designed to suppress appetite while lift mood at the same time, ensuring that people won’t feel irritated on less food.
What is interesting about the PhenQ supplement is how Wolf Berg targets both the mind and body. The ethos behind the supplement appears to be that if a person has a healthy frame of mind, then it is far easier for them to do the things that will ultimately help them lose weight. It is a holistic approach to weight loss supplementation and exceptionally innovative.
What Ingredients Will You Find In PhenQ?
- Capsimax Power. Capsimax powder is the name that PhenQ gives to the blend of capsicum, piperine, caffeine, and niacin in its weight loss tablets. It claims that piperine in black pepper and extract of bell peppers (capsicum) have strong fat-burning capabilities.
- Chromium Picolinate. Chromium picolinate is a chemical found in many foods that helps to boost insulin sensitivity, shuttling sugar into cells to avoid cravings.
- Caffeine. As discussed, caffeine is a stimulant which increases BMR and improves focus.
- Nopal. Nopal is a type of cactus. Wolf Berg claims that it can reduce excess weight caused by fluid retention and give you an energy boost. Nopal actively helps to reduce hunger and improve energy levels and feelings of wellness.
- L-Carnitine. L-carnitine is found naturally in food, such as red meat, and could help to convert fat stores into energy. L-carnitine works in conjunction with caffeine to mobilize fat out of the cells, burn belly fat directly, while the chromium picolinate prevents new fat storage.
Here’s some of the stuff that you’ll love about PhenQ:
- Made in FDA-approved facilities
- Improves mood. Focuses on eliciting feelings of well-being using carefully selected ingredients.
- Boosts energy levels
- Avoids hunger crashes common with some fat burners
- Contains all-natural ingredients. No synthetics
- Multiple action. Contains a mix of ingredients which target fat loss on multiple fronts
- Helps to elevate mood, which makes it easier to engage in healthy lifestyle choices
- Improves insulin sensitivity. Better insulin sensitivity is associated with reduced feelings of hunger
- Restores energy and improves focus
- Easy to take. Only requires that users take two tablets per day, at breakfast and lunch
And here are some of the things that you might not like about PhenQ:
- Contains caffeine (which may cause undesirable effects in sensitive people)
- Expensive when buying a single bottle (however, free bottles available when buying in bulk)
- Only available from the merchant’s official website. This means you can’t buy it from the high street retail shops or from any other online vendors
Results of PhenQ
PhenQ goes after a different market than both Instant Knockout and CrazyBulk. Rather than target the small number of bodybuilders who want a belly fat burner that will help them get lean for a competition, PhenQ intends to sell to the millions of members of the general public who find themselves overweight. The product has some distinct advantages, such as being FDA-approved, which cements its place at the top of our list of recommended fat burning supplements. That, coupled with the money-back guarantee, make buying this product a no-brainer. It is our Editor’s Choice.
We have a comprehensive review of PhenQ here for an more in-depth look.
Which Fat Burner Is Right For You?
Although PhenQ was the winner of our test, which fat burner you choose really depends on your circumstances. Yes, PhenQ has certain advantages that we love, but it still might not be the right fat burning supplement for you.
The type of fat burner you choose depends on a range of factors: namely, your goals, your budget, and your objectives. As you’ve seen in this review, all three of these dimensions varies dramatically between products, meaning that the field is still wide open. The one you choose is personal.
PhenQ – For The Average Person
Although athletes could perfectly well benefit from PhenQ, the product is mainly targeted at the average person: somebody who could do with losing a few pounds and wants a bit of help to get there. The reason for this is that PhenQ supports a positive mindset – something which the others in this review do not actively do – making the whole process of kicking a few pounds to the curb easier. Athletes already have a massive incentive to improve their fat levels – positive mentality be damned – but regular people may be more sensitive. In this regard, the fact that PhenQ creates a feeling of satiety and wellbeing is a big plus.
Instant Knockout – For The Hardcore Athlete
At the other end of the spectrum is Instant Knockout. Instant Knockout is all about performance and explicitly targets MMA fighters and other athletes who rely on having exceptionally low body fat levels. The product focuses on providing legal compounds only which help to preserve muscle during calorie restriction. Instant Knockout assumes that athletes already have the mental fortitude to stick out a weight loss programme, so doesn’t explicitly target positive attitude through nutraceutical means.
Clenbutrol – For The Fitness Enthusiast
Clenbutrol falls somewhere between the relaxed attitude of PhenQ and the athletic precision of Instant Knockout. It’s for people who want a little assistance getting rid of that last bit of belly fat on the way to a full body transformation. Clenbutrol’s powerful appetite-suppressing formula makes life easier for the fitness enthusiast who would like to look a little more ripped when they look in the mirror.
Dosage And Refund Policy
Dosage first: how easy are these pills to take? Top of the list in the ease of use stakes is PhenQ. You only need to take two tablets per day, one with breakfast and one with lunch. Next comes Clenbutrol which requires three pills a day as part of its standard regimen. Finally, Instant Knockout requires four tablets daily, all taken towards the beginning of the day.
All three brands differ remarkably in terms of their refund policies.
Instant Knockout offers a 90-day money back guarantee if you don’t see results after using the product for three months.
PhenQ has a 60-day money back guarantee: if you don’t see results, send PhenQ your empty bottles for a full refund.
And, finally, Clenbutrol doesn’t have a money back guarantee although you have a 14-day window to send the product back unopened if you change your mind.
Pricing, Perks And Added Advantages
While any one of these products may suit your fitness goals, it may disagree with your bank account. When considering which fat burner to buy, therefore, budget matters just as much as your objectives.
The cheapest of the three supplements on offer here (on a single-bottle basis) is Instant Knockout. Next comes Clenbutrol, with PhenQ being the most expensive, no doubt due to its eclectic selection of ingredients.
But that’s not the end of the story. All three companies offer some kind of special deal if you buy in bulk.
Buy three bottles of PhenQ, for instance, and get two free, plus a free Advana Cleanse (a supplement which helps to clear out cellular waste). If you buy two bottles of Clenbutrol, you can get another bottle for free, plus a training and nutrition guide, and a free subscription to CrazyBulk’s tips and tricks newsletter. Finally, if you buy three Instant Knockout bottles, you can get a fourth for free.
Now, that’s interesting, isn’t it? Despite the low sticker price of Instant Knockout, it offers the fewest perks, while PhenQ has the highest sticker price and provides the most perks.
All three products come with free shipping and worldwide delivery.
|Brand Names||Latest Price & Offers|
|PhenQ||Check Today’s Deal|
|Instant Knockout||Check Today’s Deal|
|Clenbutrol||Check Today’s Price|
BONUS: The 3 Best Ways To Maximise the Effectiveness of Your Fat Burner
Fat burners are great aids in helping you to eliminate stubborn belly fat, but they won’t do the job by themselves. If you want to get the most out of a fat burner, you’ll have to adopt some lifestyle changes. But which? Take a look at the following.
Staying hydrated is essential in general, but when you’re taking a fat burner, it becomes even more imperative. Fat burners increase your metabolic rate which could increase the amount that you sweat. Furthermore, the body requires water to shuttle fat out of cells: if there isn’t enough water available, then the fat-burning process could slow down. For these reasons, you need a constant supply of water to keep things ticking over.
How much should you drink? We recommend at least three to four quarts (liters) of water per day and double that if you train regularly.
Don’t Exceed The Recommended Dosage
When companies develop fat burners, they are very careful to make sure that they put just the right quantity of ingredients into each dose so that they do not throw the body out of homeostasis. Why? Because while they want you to lose weight, they don’t want to hurt you in the process.
People new to fat burners, however, regularly exceed the stated dosage in the hope of seeing greater benefits. Unfortunately, this isn’t how it works: not only are you wasting money but you could be putting yourself at risk. Taking too much of a supplement floods your body with compounds that can pose a threat to overall health, even if they are “natural.”
Choose The Fat Burner That Best Suits You In 2020
And finally, when choosing a fat burner, select the one that suits you the most. Not all fat burners are the same. If your lifestyle prohibits you from sticking to taking four tablets a day, then a product like PhenQ which only requires you to take two might be better. Likewise, if you want to get rid of that last bit of belly fat but don’t want to pay a premium, then Instant Knockout could be the choice for you.
So, now that you’ve gotten all the information in this review, you’re in a much better position to make an informed decision about which fat burner to choose.