Vinpocetine is a derivative of Vincamine, which itself is an alkaloid found in periwinkle. Introduced more than two decades ago, Vinpocetine is still in use today. Among the many uses of this compound, perhaps the most useful attribute lies in its brain boosting qualities. It is also involved in:
- Heightened sensory perception
- Memory improvement
- Cognitive enhancement
- Enhanced ability to focus
How it Acts
By increasing the flow of blood to the brain, Vinpocetine makes it possible for it to tap into more energy. This happens because with blood come more nutrients and fuel (oxygen and glucose) towards it. A sufficient flow of oxygen ensures that your brain cells heal ideally.
Vinpocetine is neuro-enhancing through its effect on key neurotransmitters. Vinpocetine increases the concentrations of the following neurotransmitters:
- Norepinephrine that keeps you alert for longer, when it triggers your body, making it go into “fight or flight” mode.
- Dopamine is a hormone that keeps you motivated and in control of situations by improving the communication between neurons.
- Acetylcholine, which is an important chemical that improves your capabilities of decision-making. That means, no matter how much stress you are in, you will be able to think calmly and logically.
- Serotonin keeps you calm and relaxed and by increasing its production, Vinpocetine can help you function well under stressful conditions.
- Vinpocetine enhances your memory powerfully by facilitating cerebral metabolism and improved blood flow.
- Vinpocetine exhibits neuroprotective functions by reducing blood clotting and helping prevent strokes.
- When compared to the more popular nootropics, such as Piracetam, Vinpocetine is a powerful antioxidant . It scavenges free radicals that are produced as a result of stress and cause your brain to age.
- With higher acetylcholine levels, you will retain more information. Increased acetylcholine also improves your ability to concentrate, which can come handy while working, studying, etc. Vinpocetine’s use also makes calculating data easier.
- An increase in serotonin and dopamine levels can make you more alert all the while improving your mood.
- Vinpocetine‘s neuro-enhancing effect activates the “fight or flight” response in your body. During this response, your body is primed to deal and cope with stressful situations. We face such situations at work or in school every day.
- Memory retention improves with the use of Vinpocetine. Also, it improves short-term memory, which makes learning new subjects smoother and easier.
Safety & Side Effects
Initial use of Vinpocetine should be limited to no more than 5 mg/day. That means, if you are just starting Vinpocetine, it is recommended that you take 5 mg and be on the lookout for any negative side effects . Once you get used to the supplement, you can increase the dosage.
With the use of Vinpocetine, side effects are highly unlikely. There might some side effects, however, when Vinpocetine is ingested on an empty stomach. In such a case, you may experience:
- GI distress
- Low blood pressure
Like all supplements, there are potential side effects that you may experience when you take Vinpocetine. The side effects mentioned above may last for a day or two. In case, the symptoms do not go away for longer periods of time, you will need to speak with your doctor immediately.
Vinpocetine should not be taken with any kind of blood thinning medication. Pain relievers, such as Tylenol will also interact with this supplement. Moreover, avoid Vinpocetine, if you are pregnant or breast feeding. There is a lack of research of the supplement’s effect on pregnant and lactating women.
Avoid Vinpocetine, if you have blood clots easily because the supplement can increase the risk of bleeding. That is why, it is also unsafe fro people who have just undergone surgery.
Vinpocetine can be included as part of countless nootropic stacks. Generally, Vinpocetine is taken in combination with ginkgo biloba to enhance cognition, provide neuroprotection, and is anti-oxidative in nature.
Vinpocetine is not only a powerful herbal nootropic, it has many other advantages. Using Vinpocetine will give your memory a boost while increasing your ability to focus. It is also involved in protecting your brain. . Besides that, Vinpocetine also improves short-term memory recall and makes strenuous and day-to-day tasks easier.
However, Vinpocetine is not the only nootropic supplement in the market. There are many other options that you can try out. One of them is considered to be the ideal blend of nootropics. It combines the benefits from different nootropics minus the side effects. Intrigued? Read more about it on our NooCube review.