Alpha GPC is a source of choline, which is required for optimal functioning of our brain and liver. It is a non-prescription drug in most countries and is directly linked to memory development and thwarting memory loss and cognitive decline as we age. It is also involved in:
- Memory enhancement
- Boosting energy levels
- Increased strength
- Faster recovery rate
- Improved mood
- Enhanced mental stamina
How it Acts
The major mode of action when it comes to Alpha GPC is through increased amounts of available choline. Choline is important since it is a precursor to the highly crucial Acetylcholine and will naturally convert into it, as well as, influence its production. Acetylcholine is considered so important because it a neurotransmitter that influences various cognitive processes. It is also associated with the ability to form and recall memories. The way Alpha GPC works is that it produces the necessary amounts of choline, then breaks it down, and Acetylcholine is form as a result – as a by-product.
- Alpha GPC is well known for its memory enhancing abilities. It achieves this by increasing choline amounts, thus making more of the latter available for conversion to acetylcholine. It is so effective when it comes to slowing down age-related memory loss that is used to treat Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Moreover, it will also restore memory in younger individuals who had volunteered to be subjected to temporary amnesia that was induced through chemicals!
- While Alpha GPC is known for its effects on cognitive enhancement, it also increases energy levels in its users and can be called a mild stimulant. This is why it is a good choice for pre-workout supplements.
- By promoting the formation of new neurons, Alpha GPC keeps the brain healthier for a longer time. Moreover, it also has neuroprotective properties since it enhances the rate of repair of damaged cell membranes. This property has another advantage – it slows down aging.
- Alpha GPC is also involved in the production of the human growth hormone. This is why athletes use it for optimal performance and building lean muscle mass. Alpha GPC also increases post-workout recovery time and helps them reach peak energy faster. In fact, according to a pilot study, Alpha GPC increased bench-pressing power by 14%!
- Higher levels of mental energy and improved mood are yet two other benefits for users of the supplement. With the additional choline provided by this nootropic, you will feel more alert and be able to think more clearly.
- It can also be used as a good Choline source in most nootropic stacks. The most notable of such pairings involve racetam supplements that require a huge pool of choline. Since Alpha GPC provides Choline stock, those nootropics work for longer and faster! Moreover, the headaches caused by racetams due to low Choline levels can also be avoided when they are used in tandem with Alpha GPC.
Safety & Side Effects
Alpha GPC is water soluble and thus easy to take. Since it also acts fast, thus a daily dosage between 400-1200 mg would be sufficient. It is recommended that you take it with your breakfast or at lunch. Since it also acts like a stimulant, it is advised that the supplement not be taken later than the times mentioned above.
Following side effects may result from use of Alpha GPC:
In a study on stroke recovery in the presence of Alpha GPC, most of the complaints of adverse effects were about frequent heartburn.
In the same study, some of the stroke patients also complained of having trouble sleeping or feeling excited when they took Alpha GPC. This may be due to the stimulant effects of the supplement.
- Skin Rash
Alpha GPC works best when combined with nootropics of the racetam family. If you are looking for an option that does not require to be stacked with other supplements for efficacy, why not look elsewhere? We propose NooCube. It is a result of combining various nootropics to come up with the perfect one. Check it out, we know you won’t be disappointed!