Piracetam also belongs to the racetam family of nootropics. It was also the first discovered nootropic by Dr. Corneliu E. Giurgea in in 1964. It improves cognitive performance and has the distinction of having negiligible to no side effects while doing so! Its chemical makeup resembles that of the amino acid pyroglutamate. Piracetam has had many prescription names in the past 40 years of its production. These include Nootron, Encefalux, Cerebrospan, Nootropil, Stimucortex and Psycotron.
- Boosts learning ability
- Improves memory
- Enhances the ability to concentrate on a task
- Heightens sensory perception
- Reduces depression and anxiety
How it Acts
While Piracetam’s mode of action is not yet understood completely, we do know something about how it works.
- Piracetam works by influencing the AMPA and NMDA receptor sites, just as Aniracetam does. AMPA is connected to learning and memory formation, which is why both these abilities get better with the use of Piracetam.
- Piracetam keeps communication lines between L-glutamate and NMDA receptors open. NMDA is not only involved in memory but also forms new neural connections. That is why, Piracetam delays cognitive decline that comes with age.
- It keeps your brain working at lightning speed since it also affects the receptors of Acetylcholine, an important neurotransmitter.
- It also improves cell membrane permeability, so that more oxygen molecules reach your brain. Brain cells work faster in the presence of abundant oxygen.
- Piracetam keeps your brain healthy in multiple ways like:
1. By increasing circulation, which keeps the neurons and synapses in your brain healthy and nourished
2. Eliminating waste at a faster rate
3. Inhibiting reuptake of glucose, which increases mental energy and alertness
4. Increasing cAMP — the energy currency of the brain!
Dosage and Stacking
While people may show varying reactions to Piracetam, most of it enters your bloodstream unaltered. It takes it just 30 minutes to reach peak plasma concentration. Piracetam has a half-life of 5 to 7.7 hours in plasma and nervous system, respectively. As always, it is suggested that you start with small does if you are just beginning to use Piracetam. That means taking an amount of 1.5 – 6.5 g/ day. This amount can be divided into as much as 3 doses. Some studies suggest that 4.8g/day of Piracetam will result in the best cognitive enhancement.
Stacking Piracetam with different supplements has different benefits:
For a supercharged cognitive system, pair Piracetam with Choline. The latter is popular for its influence on logical reasoning, memory, and focus. When taken with Piracetam, Choline’s levels boost inside the body, which maximize its effects.
Pairing Piracetam with Vinpocetine or Caffeine will increase circulation in the brain, thus resulting in crisp mental clarity and acuity. Moreover, when you pair Piracetam with caffeine, you also get an energy boost from the dynamic duo!
Used as a nootropic agent for decades, Piracetam provides its users with the following benefits:
- Improved memory retrieval
- Better learning ability
- Enhanced concentration
- Decreased anxiety level
- Good overall brain health
- Increased sensory perception
Safety & Side Effects
Care must be taken when using Piracetam since it has a higher level of toxicity than other racetams. However, doses as high as 8 g/daily cause few health problems. No matter how Piracetam affects you, it will be out of your system within 30 hours.
While side effects rarely occur in Piracetam users, they can still happen to individuals taking higher doses. However, no fatalities have been reported to date. The common side effects faced by Piracetam users include:
- Inability to sleep
- Gastrointestinal distress
Most of these side effects can be reduced, if Piracetam is taken with a choline source, such as CDP Choline or Alpha GPC. Drug interaction and tolerance build-up are also negligible in case of Piracetam.
Piracetam seems like the ideal choice if you are looking for a nootropic that does more than kick your brain into action. It also keeps your brain healthy while enabling you to keep performing at your best. However, you can try other options if you are in the market for the most potent nootropic blend there is! For a detailed review on this perfect blend of nootropics, read more about it here.