The first time Picamilon was synthesized was way back in 1970. It has been used as a nootropic ever since. While it may not be as popular as the supplements from the Racetam family, some of its benefits include:
- Improved nervous control
- Better recovery time after work
- Enhanced memory
How it Acts
Picamilon is actually a combination of Niacin (vitamin B3) and GABA. Once it reaches inside the brain, — which it does very rapidly — Picamilon re-divides into its constituents. GABA, a neurotransmitter, produces a calming effect while Niacin enhances blood flow in the brain. With enhanced blood flow:
- Your brain gets more oxygen. That means it is able to work faster.
- Other nutrients are also readily available to the brain and it can perform at its best for longer.
- The energy metabolism also improves within the brain. An energized brain can help you concentrate better and stay alert for longer.
- You won’t feel drowsy or lethargic that comes with muscle relaxation when you use Picamilon.
- Picamilon is more effective than Complamin, Dihydroergotoxin, Nialamide, and Papaverine.
- It crosses the brain-blood barrier very quickly. In fact, it takes Picamilon only thirty minutes to reach the brain.
- It shows a high degree of bioavailability; meaning that most of Picamilon that you consume ends up in your brain.
- Few adverse effects, if any.
- Picamilon also enhances brain’s blood flow.
- It improves learning abilities, which makes it a good choice, if you want to ace an exam.
- It also shows anti-stress effects, which makes it a good choice for days that you know are going to stressful at work.
- Improved memory.
- Faster memory recall.
- Increased productivity and motivation.
- Improvement in logical reasoning and level of intelligence.
- Overall positive mood enhancement.
- Hangover treatment.
Safety & Side Effects
The daily-recommended dose for Picamilon lies between 50-400 mg. Generally, the Picamilon users stick to the range between 100-200 mg. The dose also depends on the reason it is being used for. If you are using Picamilon to boost your mood and reap the benefits of increased energy, then stick to the lower end of the range i.e. 50- 100 mg, whereas people who want relief from stress and anxiety can slowly increase their dosage until they reach 200 mg/day.
Picamilon is not only well tolerated by most people, it is also safe for daily use. However, reports of some side effects do exist. These include:
- Skin rashes
- Mild headaches
- Red flushing skin
- Low blood pressure
The best way when starting to use any supplement is to begin with the dose that is lowest but effective. As you familiarize your body with the effects of the supplement, you may increase the doze slowly. That is why it will be unsafe for you to take more than 500 mg of Picamilon per day. Problems with tolerance, addiction, and withdrawal may arise with such large doses of the nootropic. Another concern with Picamilon is that inhibits Monoamine oxidase (MAO). MAO is an enzyme that is involved in breaking down monoamines, such as dopamine, and Picamilon can inhibit its activity. Using Picamilon can also lead to serotonin syndrome, which is life threatening, or hypertensive crisis. In such a crisis, severely high blood pressure can impair organ systems. You will require immediate medical attention in a state of hypertensive crisis.
Picamilon can be effective whether it is taken in any of the following modes:
- Taken daily on its own
- Taken along with other supplements in combination
- Cycled with other nootropics
If you are already using any of the nootropics that belong to the racetam class, adding Picamilon to the stack will only increase their cognitive enhancement properties. That means Picamilon can readily be taken with Piracetam or Pramiracetam. Additionally, depending on the racetam that you will be combining Picamilon with, the stack can also result in either making you feel relaxed, energized, or both! The heightened energy state can be felt when Picamilon is combined with Aniracetam and Oxiracetam. They are both ampakine supplements and that is why, their stimulant properties will be enhanced. Mood enhancement will also result from such a combination.
Besides combining Picamilon with racetams, you can also stack it with other supplements, such as kava. Doing so results in increased energy that is already one of Picamilon’s properties. Similarly, if you combine it with a supplement that is also a relaxant, such as valerian, Picamilon will make its calming properties stronger.
Picamilon’s benefits outweigh its obscurity by far. Moreover, it is easy to see why people on the lookout for cognitive enhancers that are also safe should try it. However, there are other options that will give you exactly what you need. Read more about it here.